Why apply for The Style File?
"There is a degree of professionalism that goes with being listed on the Style File that inspires confidence."
The Style File showcases the work of talented Australian illustrators and is used by publishers, authors and others in the industry to find illustrators to commission for work. The Style File has been successful in launching the careers of many Australian illustrators over the years. Here's what some of our past illustrators have to say about the site:
“Within three months of having my images up on the Style File I was approached by Scholastic, ABC Books and HarperCollins. In no time at all I was swimming in a sea of contracts and an ocean of work. The Style File provided a platform for my work to be seen by the industry.”
Sue DeGennaro, The Pros and Cons of Being a Frog, Max and George and other titles
“I have had several illustrating enquiries via the Style File and it has definitely contributed to successful contracts with publishers and my emerging career as an illustrator. Living in WA, there are fewer opportunities to meet with publishers at events and conferences, and the Style File is a way to be immediately seen by publishers. I always recommend the Style File to emerging illustrators who want to get their work seen.”
Karen Blair, Hello from Nowhere, Baby Animal Farm and other titles
In order to ensure that the Style File only promotes portfolios of a professional standard, illustrators wishing to be included must submit their work for appraisal. All submissions are reviewed by award-winning illustrator Ann James and respected children's publisher Erica Wagner.
The panel does not discriminate between artists who have or have not been published. Selection is made based on the illustrations submitted.
Illustrators submitting their work to the Style File are advised to read the following guidelines carefully, as submissions that fail to meet our requirements will not be accepted.
- Illustrators must be Australian citizens or permanent residents to be considered for the Style File.
- To submit an application to the Style File, please prepare a portfolio of exactly eight illustrations, demonstrating the range of their style, technique and areas of expertise. Illustrators are encouraged to read the assessors' comments from our last round of submissions while assembling their portfolios.
- Book covers should only be submitted if the illustrator played a significant role in the design. Note that you will have an opportunity to add book covers associated with specific images to your portfolio should your submission be successful.
- Please also avoid submitting images that include text, unless the text is integral to the illustration (eg. a cartoon with speech).
- Illustrators are discouraged from submitting multi-image files. That is, a single image that contains multiple panels featuring different illustrations. We prefer illustrators to submit eight single images, for best effect.
- Images may be in portrait or landscape format, however, please note that images in landscape format are best for the homepage slideshow.
- There are no restrictions on dimensions, however, we recommend that illustrators provide images 672 (w) x 442 (h) pixels where possible, for best results.
- Images must be submitted in jpeg, jpg, gif or png format and image files must be no larger than 500 KB. Please name your image files in the following manner:
What happens next?
- Illustrators must submit their portfolios by Friday 25 November 2016 at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Illustrators will be notified of the outcome of their submission by late January 2017.
- Illustrators who are invited to feature their work on the Style File will then be asked to join the Australian Society of Authors (ASA) if they don’t already have current membership. ASA membership incurs an annual fee of $195 (for published authors and illustrators) or $126.50 (for unpublished authors and illustrators), as well as a one-off joining fee of $25. You can join the ASA at www.asauthors.org/join or by calling (02) 9211 1004.
- In addition to ASA membership, illustrators will be asked to pay the annual Style File fee of $96 to keep their portfolio active.
- Once payment is received, illustrators will be issed with a Style File account and receive instructions on logging in, uploading their images and adding biographical information.
- Illustrators will have until Friday 17 February to pay their fees and upload their portfolios. Illustrators who fail to upload their portfolios by this date risk missing out on exposure to publishers generated by scheduled Style File advertising.
How to submit
Submissions to the Style File are now closed. To be notified when the next round of submissions opens email firstname.lastname@example.org.